Thursday, April 5, 2012

A coordinated effort...

When I asked some of my married girlfriends for their advice on wedding planning after I got engaged, the one thing that the overwhelming majority of them mentioned was: "Save your sanity and hire a wedding planner.  If not a full-on planner, at least a day-of coordinator.  Seriously."*

I was pretty surprised to hear that, as I hadn't really thought much about paying someone to plan the event that I myself had been looking forward to planning!  I have pretty smart friends, though, so they must be on to something.  I took their advice to heart and started looking for some help.

Mary Fiore** unfortunately wasn't available. / Image via Amazon

I quickly decided after getting some quotes for full wedding/event planning that their services unfortunately just weren't going to fit into my budget for the wedding.  After reading some reviews online, I started reaching out to some day-of coordinators to find out what they had to offer, and I found Kristi Treadwell of Joyful Details.

Kristi and I connected over email and phone, and it was an easy decision to book her as my day-of coordinator.  She was friendly, responsive, organized, and a pleasure to deal with.  She also explained I could email or call her for advice as much as I liked between now and the wedding, even though I was only booking her for day-of services.  Her openness and genuine excitement about our wedding plans certainly made me excited to work with her.

Several months later, I'm still quite happy with my choice.  Booking all the vendors myself has been a challenge, but it's something I wanted to do, and Kristi has been helpful with advice when I've needed her.  I'm looking forward to having her full support when the wedding day finally does arrive.

Did you choose to have a wedding planner or a day-of coordinator?  How did you make your decision?


*I'm not kidding.  They all said almost exactly the same thing, in the same words.  
**I adore this movie.  And I have no doubt Matthew McConaughey smells like sweet red plums and grilled cheese sandwiches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment