Sunday, May 6, 2012

The art of illusion!

A girl wants to look her best on her wedding day - which may be the most photographed occasion of her life.  Though I have often done my own makeup for formal occasions, I know that I would want some professional help for the wedding.  Knowing I would be emotional (read: teary) and also hot (read: sweaty) on our day, thus likely puffy-eyed and sweaty (oh, lovely), I was keen to find a makeup artist who was equal to the task of making me look glamorous, yet not unlike myself, with staying power.

I broke out the trusty Google search once again, looking for makeup artists in Austin who showcased brides who were natural yet polished.  I didn't want any crazy spray tan shiny lacquer glitter makeup.  I just wanted to look like me, but better.

I felt lucky to find Maris Malone Calderon, who clearly had a talent for bringing out the best in her brides.  Here are just a few examples of her work:


Image via Style Me Pretty / Photo by Forever Photography

Image via Style Me Pretty / Photo by Clayton Austin
Image via and Photo by The Nichols
Image via Green Wedding Shoes / Photo by The Nichols

Maris herself is a stunner, too - take a look at her website and you'll see what I mean.  I shared with her some photos of myself in makeup I like and makeup I don't like (prior weddings and formal events were helpful for that!) and she and I seemed to be on the same page about what look I'd be going for.  It was  a no-brainer to book her for our wedding - she'll be doing my makeup as well as makeup for bridesmaids J & J, and my mom.  I'll be having a makeup trial with her in Austin about a month before the wedding, and I can't wait to see what she does!

Are you having someone do your makeup for you, or are you going the DIY route?  How did you make your decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment