Monday, July 9, 2012

Signed, sealed, and (almost) delivered...

I went back to NYC J's apartment a day after our stuffing extravaganza, this time with stamps in hand, to finish sealing and stamping all the envelopes.   After some delicious Epicerie Boulud egg sandwiches (yum!), we got down to business.  It took a while, but we got it done!

All done!

Because I love the stamps we used, I wanted to showcase them all here:

For the domestic invitations, we went with a 65 cent stamp, as our invitations were just on the verge of being over one ounce in weight.  I chose a butterfly rather than the wedding cake stamp that the USPS currently advertises for weddings.  It seemed fitting since Baltimore is likely where we'll commence our honeymoon sail!

Baltimore Checkerspot; Image via USPS

For the international invitations, there were these pretty stamps of Lancaster County:

Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; Image via USPS

And I added extra postage for the international ones just in case, because of the envelope weight:

Birds of Prey; Image via USPS

For the reply card envelopes, we used the same stamps that we used on our save-the-dates, which are absolutely my favorite:


Edward Hopper's "The Long Leg"; Image via USPS 

All right, enough about the stamps - let's get these invitations to the post office!  

NYC J obliged me with a photo of me and the bag of invitations on my way out the door (can you believe they all fit in that bag?!):


I headed over to the USPS office on 60th and Broadway and left the invitations in the good hands of a lovely postal worker who seemed to think I was a little nuts for asking for hand-cancelled envelopes.  But she took my money and assured me they would get done.

And with that, this shindig is ON!

3 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you can get yours hand-cancelled. They don't do that in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I have read on weddingbee where other brides hand cancelled theirs in Chicago as recently as fall 2011 - it sounded like the employees actually handed them the stamp and let them do it. Maybe attempt to do it at a couple of different post offices?

      They wouldn't let me do it myself in NYC. They did the first 50 for free and then charged 5 cents for each additional envelope. Cost me $3.70. :)

      Delete
  2. I had to hunt around in NYC, too. Got to know which Post Offices had nice workers and which ones didn't! Many POs officially say they won't do it, but if you go anyway and find a friendly postal worker, they'll still accommodate you. I paid the same price as M back in 2005!

    ReplyDelete