Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Happy birthday, MOB!

Today is my mom's birthday, which has me thinking about the passing of time.  Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, graduations - they all mark important milestones in life.

My mom and I have always been close.  She has that uncanny ability to hold back when I need to figure things out for myself, and to step forward when she can tell I am yearning for guidance.  She has been a great shoulder to lean on during the wedding planning process, and I can tell she's having fun watching all the plans take shape, and adding her own touches here and there. 

Mom and me, 1983-ish

She and my dad basically eloped in Alaska (they were married by Mrs. Claus at the Santa Claus House at the North Pole - nope, I'm not kidding!)  So this whole wedding thing - big fun party, with all the trimmings and details, bunches of friends and family, and a whole lotta collective joy - is not only exciting for me, it's exciting for her.

Mom and Dad on their wedding day, 1975 (yes, Dad is totally rockin a powder blue tux)

I'm also her only child, and I can imagine it must be pretty darn neat to watch your daughter get married.
Maybe someday I'll get to have the same experience.

Mom and me sailing on the Hudson, summer 2010

Mom, I'll always be yours, and I'm so glad to have you with me as I take this step forward in my life.  Happy birthday, and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment